|Flu season occurs annually in countries that have cold weather in the winter. Although the influenza virus is alive throughout the world in all four seasons, it seems to have its greatest impact on humans during the winter. Scientists are not sure why. They think it’s because in the winter people are indoors and close together for longer periods of time. Also, the virus might be able to live longer and be stronger in colder weather. Finally, indoor air can dry up the mucous that helps protect people from the virus. However, people can avoid the flu if they take the necessary measures.|
In the U.S., the virus is not something to sneeze at. It kills about 36,000 people annually (most of them elderly). It also causes almost 250,000 people to end up in a hospital bed annually.
Scientists have developed a preventive flu shot for people to take as winter begins. This shot is not guaranteed to prevent the flu; scientists can only guess which virus might be the most dangerous in the upcoming season. The shot protects against only that particular virus. For those who do not get the shot, influenza spreads among them easily. It takes only a sneeze, a cough, or a touch. Victims frequently get ill from shaking hands, opening doors, or handling money.
Most infected people will have a fever, sore throat, and cough. But the symptoms are often mild and last for only a week. For many others, however, symptoms can be so severe and prolonged that victims end up in bed for weeks, in the hospital, or in the cemetery.
(All your answers should be taken from the text)
A/ Are these sentences true or false? Justify (points)
- Influenza has a great effect on people in all seasons.
- Scientists don’t know why influenza spreads in winter.
- The shot protects people against all types of viruses.
B/ Answer these questions
- Which generation is the main victim of the influenza virus?
- How does the influenza virus spread among people?
- When does influenza have a great effect on people?
C/ These sentences are false. Correct them
- The flu is stronger in all seasons
- People can take the preventive shot any time they want.
D/ Complete these sentences according to the text
- The preventive shot is not guaranteed ……………..
- The symptoms of influenza are ………………
E/ What do these words in the text refer to?
- They (paragraph 1)
- Others (paragraph 4)
F/ Find in the text words meaning almost the same as
- All over (paragraph 1)
- Inflammation (paragraph 4)