A/ Fill in the blanks with the correct words from the list
renewable – eclectic – challenge – witty – frustration – humorous – vitality – e-learning
- According to the information on the packet, these vitamin pills will restore lost —————.
- Nabil is known for his ————— behavior. Everybody laughs when he starts talking.
- I could sense his —————– at not being able to help.
- Finding a solution to this problem is a great—————— faced by scientists today.
- Morocco is making great efforts to develop different resources of ————– energies.
B/ Put the verbs between brackets in the correct tense
- Where (you/go) for your next summer holidays?
- Peter who (wait) for an hour was very angry with his sister when she eventually turned up.
- We had better wait till December 14. David (finish) his exam by then. So he will be able to enjoy himself.
- Omar was arrested by the police because he sold drugs to youngsters. He (shouldn’t/do) that.
- When I got home I found my daughter (do) her homework.
C/ Match the sentences with the functions they express
|1. It was very foggy and snowy. So they can’t have arrived on time. |
2. The ground is wet. It must have rained during the night.
3. John may join his work if he recovers from his illness.
4. Ann speaks six languages. She is a genius at language learning.
5. Hamid: Can I help you start your car?
Najib: Yes, thank you.
|a. offering help|
b. expressing ability
c. expressing possibility
d. expressing past negative certainty
e. expressing deduction in the
D/ Respond to the following situations as suggested
- Jane: Everyone who doesn’t know how to use a computer is illiterate. You: …………………………….. (express disagreement)
- Your friend: Asmae didn’t come to school. Perhaps she had a problem. You: ……………….. (express possibility in the past).
- Mourad: I am a computer addict, and I don’t know how to solve this problem. You: ………………. (give him advice).
- Teacher: Global warming is a world ecological problem. You: …………………….. (ask the teacher for clarification).
- Your classmate: What about going to a cybercafe? You: …………………… . (decline invitation)
E/ rewrite the following sentences using the words given
- A lot of youngsters are not involved in politics because they think that the Moroccan system lacks democracy. (due to)
- Many women join illiteracy classes to learn how to read and write. (so that)
- We from time to time fall ill because dangerous viruses enter our bodies. (as a result).
- Redouane has been living in this city for five years. (since)
- They went to the forest. They wanted to hunt animals. (so as to)