What are personal pronouns?
Personal pronouns are short parts of speech that are primarily associated with persons and are used to replace nouns so as to avoid repetition. In some cases, they are associated with animals, objects, things, etc. There are different types of personal pronouns in English: subject pronouns, object pronouns, possessive adjectives, possessive pronouns, and demonstrative pronouns.
The following table contains a list of these pronouns. Take a look at it.
|Possessive Adjectives||Singular |
|Possessive Pronouns||Singular |
|Demonstrative Pronoun||Singular |
(→ = near)
| Plural |
(→ = far)
A/ Fill in the blanks with the correct pronoun
- Who is that woman? Why are you looking at ——-?
- Do you know that man? Yes, I work with ——–.
- I am talking to you. Please listen to ——-.
- These photos are nice. Do you want to look at ——–?
- I like that camera. I am going to buy ——-.
- I don’t know Peter’s boyfriend. Do you know ——-?
- Where are the tickets? I can’t find ——-.
- We are going to the disco. Can you come with ——-?
- I don’t like dogs. I’m afraid of ——–.
- Where is she? I want to talk to —–.
- Those apples are bad. Don’t eat ——.
- I don’t know this girl. Do you know ——–?
- Alan never drinks milk. He doesn’t like ——–.
- Where are the children? Do you see ——-?
- I can’t find my pencil. Can you give ——- one?
- My name is Sue ——— am English. And this is my family.
- My mum’s name is Angie.——— is from Germany.
- Bob is my dad.——– is a waiter.
- On the left, you can see Simon.——– is my brother.
- Sue and Simon are brothers.——– are twins.
B/ Fill in the blanks with the correct possessive adjective or possessive pronoun
- Two students don’t do. ——- mathematics homework.
- I have a car.—— car is black.
- We have a dog.——– name is Pancho.
- Nancy is from England.——- husband is from Australia.
- Farid and Nadia go to a high school.——– little brother goes to primary school.
- Mr. O’Brian has a van.——– van is very old.
- We go to a high school.——- high school is fantastic.
- I like singing.——– mother sings with me.
- François and Alain are French.——– family is from France.
- Mary likes ——– grandmother. She often visits her.
- Leila likes ——-dog.—— name is Bobby.
C/ Fill in the blanks with the correct demonstrative pronoun
- Give ____ pen to the customer. (pen is close to the speaker).
- Take ____ toys to the bedroom. (toys are close to the speaker).
- Fill out ____ application. (application is at a distance from the speaker)
- Clean up ____ table. (table is close to the speaker).
- Watch ____ birds in the tree. (birds are at a distance from the speaker).
- Eat ____ bowl of fruit. (bowl of fruit is close to the speaker).
- Eat ____ cherries. (cherries are close to the speaker).
- Wash ____ car. (car is at a distance from the speaker).
- Wash ____ tires. (tires are at a distance from the speaker).
- Read ____ books. (books are close to the speaker).
- —— car looks cleaner than —— one.
- Do you remember the ——– wonderful day in June?
- Both books are good but ——–is better than ———.
- Delhi’s climate is better than ——— of Calcutta.
- Is ——- my drink?
- ——– aren´t my trainers.
- Is ——- an interesting museum?
- ——– is my house.
- ——– are his sister´s children.
- ——– are my father´s book.