Introduction to the present simple
The present simple is a tense which is used to talk about present actions or events. Particularly, actions that we do repeatedly, regularly, several times, or those which we never do at all.
|TENSE||FORMATION RULE||USE/FUNCTION||SIGNAL WORDS|
|present simple||subject + verb(s)||– habits|
– repeated actions in the present time
– general actions
– future timetables or programs
– natural facts
– after verbs that can’t be put in the continuous tense
(e.g.like‚love‚ believe …etc)
– with conditional type 1
|– every+time expression|
(i.e.day ‚week‚ month…etc
– on+a day of the week
|I/you/we/they do/work/study/ finish.||I/you/we/they don’t (= do not) do/work/study/ finish.||Do I/you/we/they do/ work/study/ finish?|
|he/she/it does/works/ studies/ finishes.||he/she/it doesn’t (= does not) do/work/study/ finish.||Does he/she/it do/ work/study/ finish?|
Put the verbs between brackets in the present simple (affirmative, negative, and interrogative forms)
- I( play) tennis.
- The party (start) at 8 o’clock.
- The train (leave) every morning at 8 AM.
- She (speak) four languages.
- She always (forget) her purse.
- Jane is a teacher. She (teach) French.
- Every twelve months, the Earth (circle) the Sun.
- I always (close) the window at night because it is very cold.
- The Earth (turn) around the Sun.
- Cats (like) milk.
- Those shoes (cost)too much.
- Birds ( like) grains.
- His job is great because he (meet a lot of people.
- Pigs (prefer) meat.
- California (exist) in America.
- My watch is broken and it (need) to be fixed again.
- London and Liverpool (exist) in the United Kingdom.
- They (make) windows from glass.
- I (go)to the cinema at least once a week.
- They (make) doors from wood.
- We both (listen) to the radio in the morning.
- They (visit) New York every year.
- The train (get) to the station at 6 PM.
- The bus (arrive) at 11 AM.