|The Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development has awarded $5 million to three different local nonprofit organizations. The money will be distributed over a four-year period and is aimed at helping approximately 1,000 homeless people in the county of Arvada. The organizations will build these people school homes which will be both schools and homes.|
One agency, with headquarters in Woodbridge, is slated to receive $1.5 million. The agency director says that they will focus their resources on educating the homeless. “We will probably build another school home with this money,” he said. ‘‘A school-home is exactly what it sounds like. It is a school and a home. We have already built four school homes throughout the county. We get the homeless off the street, and we educate them so they don’t have to return to the street. We teach them how to be auto mechanics, plumbers, landscapers, painters, carpenters, bricklayers, electricians, and air-conditioning repairmen, ’’ he added.
“You wouldn’t believe the success that we have had. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, our office air-conditioning went out. My secretary called a repairman. The repairman was one of our first homeless students. He now owns his own air-conditioning business, plus two houses, two cars, and a boat! He has a dozen employees. Holy cow! He’s doing better than I am. He fixed our air-conditioning for free. I think I might sign up for the air-conditioning class myself.”
(Base your answers on the text)
A/ Are these sentences true or false? Justify
- The Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development offers money to organizations that make profits.
- Students can live and learn in school homes.
- The repairman was one of the homeless students.
B/ Answer these questions
- What do the agencies aim at?
- Which professions do homeless students learn in school homes?
- Why does the agency director think of signing up for the air conditioning class?
C/ the following sentences are false. Correct them
- The money will be distributed after four years.
- The agency director said they would build their first school home with the money.
D/ Complete these sentences from the text
- The narrator says that they have already ………………..
- School homes are ……………..
E/ What do the underlined words in the text refer to?
- It (paragraph 2)
- He (paragraph 3)
F/ Find in the text words meaning almost the same as:
- gave (paragraph 1)
- go back (paragraph 2)